Loading...

History

History

As a funeral home that has held the community’s trust for many years, our team is here to serve the families of Berlin, Gorham and all of Northern New Hampshire with the utmost care and compassion along with an unparalleled level of service.

 

A. W. Walters original building, located on Main Street in Berlin near the public library and across from the Berlin Fire Department. The Funeral Home was moved to its current location on Hillside Avenue sometime the World War II era.

(Horse Drawn Hearse) Bert and Ed in the Milan Old Home Days parade in the 1970's. The hearse originally was built and used in the town of Milan. In the 1970's, prior to the bicentennial parade, the hearse was in major disrepair. Bert acquired the hearse with the understanding he would have it restored in time for the bicentennial parade, which he did. We still own the hearse and take it out on occasion, although it is no longer used to transport decedents, as modern caskets do not fit inside the coach.

 

1893

Established by Arthur W. Walters, the funeral home has served area families continuously since that time.



1928

Bradford S. Parker became affiliated with A.W. Walters & Co. Mr. Parker purchased the business from Arthur Walters and later formed a partnership with G. Harold Holmes and they moved to the present location at 180 Hillside Avenue in Berlin.



1966

Bertrand E. Bryant of Colebrook, NH purchased the business. Bert, along with his wife Beverly operated the business for many years following.



1978

In an effort to better serve area families in Gorham, Randolph, Shelburne and the surrounding areas Bert & Bev opened our location on the corner of Promenade Street and Route 16.



1981

B. Edward Bryant, Bert’s son, became affiliated with the funeral home, obtaining his license in 1984 following graduation from New England Institute in Boston, MA.



1995

Ed and his wife Laurie became the owners of the business, with it remaining as a local family owned and operated funeral home.



2012

David E. Bryant, Ed and Laurie’s son, joined the business. David graduated and became a licensed in 2016, continuing the family tradition and marking the third generation of licensed Bryant family funeral directors.



2015

Androscoggin Valley Crematory established. As more families turn to cremation as a means of disposition, realizing a need to further serve families, the crematory was added to ensure that your loved ones are always being properly cared for. The facility is located on the grounds of the Berlin funeral home. By taking the cremation process in house we now ensure your loved ones never leave our care.



2016

Bryant Monument Company established.

Bryant Funeral Homes & Crematory

Funeral Home Office Hours:

Our personnel are available 24 hours a day to assist families who have experienced a death. Due to the nature of our business, our availability varies. Generally, our office is staffed
Monday-Friday 8am-4pm
Evenings, Saturdays and Sundays by appointment

Please CONTACT US at any time with questions, comments, or inquiries. We will respond as soon as possible.


© Bryant Funeral Homes & Crematory
Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants & TA